Tsar Lazar’s Cross

The simple iron cross, erected in 1778, stands on a finely carved Corinthian column at the corner of the eponymous square. The small square was built only in the 1970s when the houses on the bank of the Danube were pulled down. Earlier, the cross had been located in one of the alleys in the place of the small wooden church where the Serbs who fled to Szentendre in 1690 held the mortal remains of their national hero Tsar Lazar venerated as a saint. The Lazar Cross is still a place of pilgrimage of Serbs, who respect their traditions. A commemorative celebration is held by the cross every year simultaneously with the annual parish feast of the small Serbian village of Vradnik, where the tsar’s relics were kept until WWII, when they were transferred to Belgrade.