The first services of the Lutheran congregation of Szentendre, established in 1941, were held at 8 Dumtsa Jenő Street. Some years later, the congregation moved to its current location by the Bükkös stream, where they built a church after the war.
The demolition of the church and the construction of a new one was first proposed by members of the congregation in 1998 and the church was completed and consecrated in August 2004. The architects József Kocsis (Ybl-prize laurate), Barnabás Kocsis, Gáspár Kocsis and Attila Kutasi designed a stone building, which nicely fits into Szentendre’s townscape with its uniquely closed design and atmosphere.
The sanctuary of the church has an eastern orientation and the main entrance overlooks the inner courtyard. The best view of the church is from the other side of Bükkös stream, looking over the beautiful inner courtyard and the slender bell tower made of two different materials. The interior design is also the work of Barnabás Kocsis and Gáspár Kocsis, who won the Internal Designers of the Year Prize in 2009 for this work. The window panes were made by Szentendre painter Piroska Jávor.
The church is open only at the time of religious services.